Monday, August 29, 2011

Fishing for Lightning

I love living in Utah and having these awesome thunderstorms roll through every summer. I can say that I think I am the only one in my house that likes these thunderstorms. On Saturday when the storm rolled through, I was really tired and wanted to go to sleep but my wife sat up and watched the lightning through our dining room window. She suggested that I should get my camera out and get some pictures of the lightning. I was weighing the options of getting some cool pictures and sleeping when Jarik took mom's advice and started getting my camera out for me. Reluctantly I got out of bed and got the camera all setup and got nothing as the storm decided to die out. What a waste of a good 30 minutes of sleep.

Then last night, the 28th, we heard the storm rolling in. Since the camera and tripod were still out, I decided that it was time to get some good pictures. As I set up the camera and started taking pictures I felt like I was fishing, you know, cast your line in, wait until the big one hits and reel it in. So I'd open the shutter on the camera, toss in the line, and I'd get bites like this:



This where the lightning was way far away or just behind the clouds and it would cause the sky to light up. It is cool, but it is just a bite on the end of the camera 'fishing pole'.

Then you'd get more then get a hit but it wasn't a 'keeper fish' type of picture. Loads of fun reeling it in, but it ends up being a fighter more than a keeper.



All great in their own right, but like most fishers just not the big daddy. Then you get closer and it's pretty awesome.

Then as luck would have it, you toss your line in again and something bigger strikes and you get to go home satisfied with what you have finally reeled in during your day of fishing.
I went to bed satisfied that I had a couple cool pictures to finally blog about. All in all a good night of fishing for lightning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! These look great, boy! (This is Erik by the way)