Tuesday, January 17, 2006

"Book of Daniel"

I had an opportunity the other night to watch a portion of the new series "Book of Daniel". I had not heard of the plot nor the scenarios for this series. Let me brief you on these first.

The father, an Episcopal priest who is addicted to pain killers.
The mother is an alcoholic.
The 23-year old biological son, is openly gay.
The 16-year old daughter is a drug dealer.
The 16-year old adopted son is having sex with the drug-dealing daughter AND is addicted to drugs.

Not to mention, the father talks to Jesus Christ who visits frequently.

I think that covers the synopsis of the series. Now, the portion I watched dealt with the need for the church to get a new school building built. A Catholic priest advised the father that he had found the necessary money to build such a building but is was from the mob and the Catholic priest was actually advising him to TAKE the money. (???) Not to mention that the Jesus character was a discrace.

Apparently, the series was created by a person by the name of Jack Kenny who is a homosexual buddist that believes that Jesus Christ is a myth.

I have since received an e-mail giving me the above information and Snopes.com has confirmed this. Also, a Google seach shows that there are numerous articles written about the trouble this has caused within the Christian community.

Our local affiliate KSL is still airing the show while other affiliates in the mid-west have pulled it from programming.

It is my hope that we can have this program removed from our television programming. Please notify all those Christians that would see good, quality programming on television. I invite everyone to contact their local NBC affiliates to have the series pulled from the airwaves.

I believe, that a story line like this COULD have a place in programming if done correctly. I don't think having as many possible problems in one family, especially a religious leader's family, is the way to do it. I understand that even the best families have their problems, but this combination seems VERY over the top.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I agree with the general statement that "this type of programming is not necesary", i have to say that the "call to all christians to have this removed" is above and beyond the necessary. If you don't like the program; change the channel. Or better yet, turn the T.V. off and use your imagination.

Unknown said...

That works to a point. By allowing this type of programming, we are allowing the moral level of our society slip. This is why the the minority keeps getting its way is because we continue to "turn the other cheek". We should be voicing our opinion more often and not allowing others that would dictate to us that we should loosen up our values.

Don't you get tired of rolling your eyes at all the "crap" that happens and not really saying anything about it? At some point, we should get to what we feel is the bottom of the barrel on moral value in this country and stand up for what we believe in.

This isn't just about "one" program although that's where it starts.

Anonymous said...

If we have to start somewhere, here is as good a place as any. If i'm reading you correctly, then a more appropriate statement would "be a call to all those concerned witht he morality of the nation." not just christians.

As for rolling my eyes at all the crap that happens, my world just keeps getting smaller. I turn my TV off. I concern myself with me and mine. I make sure my family is in the right. I make sure my friends make honest decisions. When the world kills itself, I'll die with it knowing I surrounded myself with the love and the best humanity had to offer.

By the by - if enough people turn their TV's off, programmers will change the programming.