Thursday, April 29, 2010

Back on Track

Wahooo... Wait, you are all, both of you, confused as to what I'm back on track for. Well let me tell you. I had previously mentioned that I wanted to read more and set a goal to finish a book a month. With how slow I read, that is a major thing for me. Well last month I was reading Life of Joseph Smith the Prophet by George Q. Cannon. It was very good and a book that gave me a greater respect for Joseph Smith and what he did in his life. It taught me some things about not only the Prophet but for those people that were around him. He had many loyal and great friends. He struggled through many trials and persecutions all because he had seen a vision and reorganized a church. I would give it an A and tell everyone that they should take the time to read it. It took me a while to read because I'm still a pretty slow reader and I wanted to make sure that I took this book in.

When I finished with that a couple weeks ago I was walking around our house looking for something to read and picked up The Lost World by Michael Crichton and started reading that. I got a few pages into that and figured I should read Jurassic Park first so I put it down and got on the library website to see if they had Jurassic Park checked in. It wasn't but his newest book, Pirate Latitudes, was available so I picked it up and started reading it. This book started out a little slow for me as he started to build his characters but a few chapters in and the adventure starts. Charles Hunter and his crew set out from Port Royal, Jamaica to get a ship that is supposedly full of treasure and is anchored in a very well protected Spanish port. Captain Hunter plans the attack and gets those in Port Royal that have specialties that will help in this quest. Capt. Hunter is very good at what he does and has to think quickly as they encounter a few bumps along the way. It was an easy read, which are my favorite kind but it kept me turning the pages. Good enough for me to finish it in a week since I checked it out on the 22nd. (Image used from Goodreads.com)

My next book is Storm Front, which is book one in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. I don't know what to think about it but Goodreads.com gives it a 3.9 rating and I've had to wait a week or so to get it. I'm hoping to pick that up tonight. If you've read it let me know how you like it. As far as this blog goes I do recommend both of the other books in this blog.

No comments: