Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Random Thoughts

It has been a while since I've posted last and thought it time to put down in words some of the thoughts that I have had recently. As I was trying to pick a topic to blog, I realized how jumbled up my brain is and how in need of some mental housecleaning I need to do. Its almost as if someone took the deck of cards that is my brain, and shuffled them and then scattered them in the wind. Nothing like a rousing game of 52-pickup when its your mind that is the deck. Anyway.....

There are so many things going on in the world around us and in our daily lives. Work, family, entertainment, spiritual growth, mental growth, etc. Each subject demands so much attention that it tries to take away our attention to other things. We spend our lives running constantly from one place to the next. Spend too much time on spiritual growth, you miss some opportunities on family. Spend some extra hours at work, you lose some of your much needed liesure time. Its a vicious circle and each can be a major distraction from the others.

Finding a balance between all of the subjects of our lives becomes difficult when you realize that there are only 24 hours in a day and some of that time is needed for rest, eating, transportation and/or preparation. (Preparation to include grooming, washing, dressing, etc.) Chores around the house need to be done. Chores in the yard are being neglected. The family needs to spend time together. So many times we say, "I'll get to that as soon as I can." "If I can get this stuff done, I can then concentrate on these other things."

We put off so much to put out fires that we never find the time to make an appropriate balance. There are those out there who are willing to offer advice and help but their advice and help is in areas that they think you should be spending time. So much to do and so little time.....

How do we focus on what is important and how do we know what that is? How can we balance our lives to find an appropriate amount of time for everything? What sacrifices do you make to accomplish other goals?

For example, you can either do "A" or you can do "B". Both you very much want to do, but how do you choose? Which is more important? Which is going to give you the maximum amount of benefit to your happiness and your live as well as the lives of those around you?

Sometimes, A and B are linked in such a way that you want A and your partner wants B. (By partner, I am refering to spouse, kids, or whomever else your life is entwined.) When do you say that A is the way you are going and when do you give in to allow B to happen to make your partner(s) happy? When do you consider your own personal growth vs that of your partners? So many questions... So few answers....

I guess this was my little gripe about having to make so many decisions. Sometimes you just want to sit and tune out the rest of the world but you can't. Sometimes you just need a break to recharge your batteries. Maybe that's where I am. I need to recharge the batteries.

Anyway,thanks for the talk. I think it helped put a few things in perspective. Even if the actual issues weren't discussed here, they light at the end of the tunnel is getting a little bit brighter.

No comments: