Thursday, September 18, 2008

Another day in the life....

Today is Thursday. Nothing particular about Thursdays. I think they exist only to separate Wednesday from Friday because they really don't seem to have any other use. I'm not particularly fond of Thursdays but try to plan them to make them a bit more exciting. Thursdays tend to be very boring unless you try to make them more interesting.

Like last Thursday. We went to the fair last Thursday. Now there's a Thursday to remember. It was also Patriot's Day (9/11). Of all the Thursdays in my life, I think that one may be a bit more memorable, not because if was Patriot's Day as much as because of a unique experience. In fact, I will probably forget that it happened on a Thursday all together but I will probably remember the experience.

It was not one that you would think would be a memorable experience, but for some reason this one will probably stand out as one of those moments you are glad that you experienced. It wasn't life changing by any stretch but it was definitely unique.

During the fair, there was a stand there that sold Deep Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches. What a completely off-the-wall concept. It sounds gross, but you would actually be surprised. In fact, before going to the fair, I had heard that these were there and laughed because I thought it was a joke at first.

Here's what they do. They take one of those pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, the kind in the frozen food section (if you haven't seen them, I bet you will go look.) Then, they stick a popcicle stick in it, dip it in scone batter, and put it in the deep fryer until golden brown. Then, they put it in a serving dish, top with chocolate sauce and powdered sugar, and serve.

It was actually very good. I would highly recommend trying one if you are curious and you can find someone to make one for you. The stand also served deep-fried Twinkies and deep-fried Snicker's bars. The Twinkies were made the same way and I assume that the Snicker's bars were also but am not certain.

While Thursdays aren't usually very memorable, good food is. While I wouldn't recommend this on a regular basis, it is definitely one of those treats that you should try at least once. I will guarantee though, once you are done, you will want more but your thoughts will turn to how many meals of carrots and celery that you will need to eat to compensate.

No comments: