Monday, November 13, 2006

Blog This!!!

Acually, I guess the title would indicate that I'm angry but I'm not really. I think I'm just in a cranky mood. First, I'll tell you why than move into the reason I wanted to blog.

Last Monday, I did something to my shoulder/back area. It got really sore. Tuesday, it was so bad, I didn't go to work. Wednesday and Thursday it seemed to be doing better but Friday was aweful. I spent the weekend down mostly. What we have determined I have, (self-diagnosis anyway) is a pinched nerve. So, Its been a miserable week and I have a doctor's appointment today either to fix it or give me enough drugs that I don't care. (I'm really a wimp when it comes to pain. Not that I can't stand it, I just complain a lot.)

Anyway, reason for the blog: Since I was down all weekend, I found out that Season 2 of "Quantum Leap" was at the library. Having borrowed Season 1 a couple of months ago, I felt it time to spend the weekend on the couch watching Season 2.

For those of you that don't know about "Quantum Leap", learn. It was an awesome series back in the late 80's/early 90's and was one of the very few series that I actually watched and kept up with on a regular basis.

Anyway, one thing I always wonder about is "after the story." What happens next? This is always something that has plagued me because, while you get to know Sam Beckett, you also get to learn about the characters quite a bit. What happens to them AFTER Sam leaves? What happens to the person that Sam leaped into after they return to their body?

In the show, Al states that they are in the waiting room. Basically, the souls change places but the bodies stay in their respective time frames. So, while we see Sam as Sam, everyone, including Al, sees Sam as the character in whom he leaps. You assume then, that the person displaced leaps into Sam's body. Does the displaced person, upon return to their body, remember that they leaped into someone else's body? Do they have a recollection of the past few days that they experienced through Sam? Given that Sam doesn't have their memories, my guess to that question is no but I think I could make a good Devil's Advocate arguement for it as well.

One episode that brings this up very strongly is an episode called "Sea Bride" in which his ex-wife is about to be married to a mafia-type and Sam is supposed to break up the wedding. In the process, the mafia-type groom tries to kill Sam by hanging him by his wrists and then throwing him out with the garbage. Sam escapes running up to the area where the wedding is taking place to announce that the groom tried to kill him. He succeeds in stopping the wedding and winning the girl, but then leaps out.

My question is this, did the mafia mobster get arrested and convicted of attempted murder? I know its not important to the show because the person being helped is the bride, but sometimes Al and Sam get a minute or two at the end of the episode to discuss the future of those helped and so you can know the rest of the story.

Knowing the impact of what Sam is doing, in my opinion, is very important to the story line. When you change something in the past, you change the future. This show does show that some of what we do is directed but that we do have free choices to make and somethings are meant to be.

Anyway, I really like this series and have my reservations in for Season 3 at the library. The show ran for 5 seasons and is, in my opinion, good, wholesome family programming.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Good to see you haven't left our little blog. I have the same issue a lot of the time, what happens to so an so or such and such. I like to make it up in my head so that there's always an end to the story, but that's me. I agree, good shows.