Thursday, February 21, 2008

10 Years!!!

Today is my 10th anniversary. I am really excited about that. It makes me really think about relationships and I realize that you can never really tell where something will lead.

When Aly and I got together, I don't think either one of us really knew what to expect. We had both been in a variety of relationships that were good, bad and ugly (sometimes all at once) but never was a fit enough to last. I know that I have not been and am not the easiest person in the world to get along with and there are very few people that I have ever met that can really deal with me. This is why I have so few friends but I am ok with who I am. You either like me or you don't and that's ok.

Aly and I dated in high school for a very brief time. It didn't last long because I was a jerk and was not ready for any type of relationship. I wanted one but wasn't ready to commit to one. Up to that point, I had only had one real relationship that mattered at all and I wasn't ready for anything different. I liked the idea of relationships, I always have but was awful at them. Mostly because I was too self-conscious and shy.

Luckily, I didn't commit to anything right after high school because I had a lot to learn and a lot of growing up to do. I went to basic training and came home trying to grow up too fast. I tried school and work right after getting back when I should have taken a break and failed at both miserably. I spent the next 5 years trying to figure out what it was that I wanted. In fact, it was my 5-year high school reunion. I almost didn't go because I had a class.

I went for a little while and talked to maybe 4 people while I was there, one of which was Aly. The rest were fairly superficial conversations and as I looked around to everyone showing up, I realized that I wouldn't have anything in common with 99% of the people that showed up anyway. So, I left (after getting Aly's number, of course.)

We pretty much clicked right away (after I finally called her. It took me a month.)

Anyway, long story short, we made it work. It hasn't been easy and I have learned a lot about me during that time. I woke up this morning and knew I had made the right choice 10 years ago. I love Aly and our kids and the life we have created for ourselves. I am excited to see what the next 10 years holds.

1 comment:

Chels said...

Happy Anniversary!!