Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines Day!!!


When I was growing up, Valentine's Day was always one of those holidays that really wasn't much for me. I didn't have many girlfriends through my youth and I don't think I ever had one during the Valentine's Day season. I always liked the symbology of Valentine's Day though.

I never thought that you needed an excuse to tell the ones that you love that you love them or to celebrate that love but we have a holiday to celebrate that. Those of us that celebrate our love through the year, Valentine's Day gives us one more excuse, just like an Unbirthday gives you a reason to celebrate as well. For those that are a bit slower that need a hint, it gives them that hint to show the ones that they love the appreciation they deserve.

Back when the wife and I were just engaged, we were trying to pick our date to get married. It was January and we weren't planning a big wedding. We didn't have the 6-month or year wait that is typical. We sat down with a calendar and tried to pick a day that was convenient for us as well as our attendees so we looked at Saturdays.

That year, Valentine's Day fell on a Saturday and as we debated the day, we had several pros and cons for picking that day. One the one hand, what a day to get married? The holiday that celebrates love could be our anniversary along with all the cliches that came with it. On the more practical hand, try getting a reservation anywhere for your anniversary if its on Valentine's Day. Good luck to that!!!

The other con came from the wife. Her parents had been married on Valentine's Day and that had ended in divorce so, to her, that was a cursed wedding day. So, we chose Feb 21st.

We had decided that since our anniversary was so close to Valentine's Day, that we would celebrate both together on our anniversary and reserve Valentine's Day for us and the kids.

Anyway, a bit of history but relevant to the time of year. I wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day. I hope you all get the chocolate, flowers, or dinner from the one you love.

No comments: