Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Auto Service

I am in the process of fixing up a 1987 Toyota Celica ST to use as my primary transport between point A and point B. To do this, I have made frequent trips to Checker Auto Parts. They are friendly and knowledgeable but that is not the concern I have.

Since I was fixing up the car, I figured I would do some maintenance to the van as well. I went and purchased new spark plugs, wires, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and PCV. I went home, opened up the hood and could barely see the plugs and wires. Inside the cabin, there is an access to the engine and you could barely see the other side. Trying to fit a wrench in there to pull the plugs is going to be a nightmare.

So, I figured I'd set that project aside and begin to work on the plugs and wires for the Toyota. I pull one of the wires, but it has a 6" extension on it. In other words, the spark plug is 6" INSIDE THE ENGINE!!!! How stupid were these designers?? That was my first thought anyway. THEN, I realized something. These people were geniuses in relieving money from our wallets. Think about it. If you can't reach something, don't have special tools, or a special computer to "talk" to your car, how can you service it yourself? They make ok money on the parts but make a KILLING on the labor. I'm really beginning to think I went into the wrong field.

No comments: