Thursday, March 03, 2005

Computers - the time savers?

Today has been an interesting day. Because of some things going on at work, we have decided to do some inhouse computer training for our staff. We only have about 8 people in the office, so it should be easy to get the information to everyone. Or so I thought.....

We have a weekly staff meeting and I figured I would take 10-15 minutes to do a small presentation on Microsoft Excel functions. Specifically, column/row dimensions and worksheets (adding, deleting, moving, copying, etc.) Now, don't give me a hard time, I know that stuff is easy. These are people who don't work with computers much so we have to go over the basics.

I decided to do my presentation in PowerPoint (ironic, isn't it?) Anyway, with the animation, conversion of screenshots to jpg/gif, copying etc. my 10-15 minute presentation has taken about 2-1/2 hours to write. Granted, if it were all planned out, it would probably have been ALL done by now but since I'm learning a few things, and planning as I go, its taken a lot longer.

So, its been a good learning experience, but I'm not sure I can do this type of stuff for each weekly meeting.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I'm sure you can find time in your busy schedule at work.