Thursday, March 17, 2005

St. Patrick's Day

I am inspired to write about St. Patty's day because, well, it is St. Patty's day. I believe there are a lot of misconceptions about St. Patty's Day. I went to the local parade last Saturday and for portions of it, was appalled at the lack of respect.

A lot of people have turned this holiday into a "drink-fest" where they make a mockery of this holiday in favor of the ideology that everyone is just supposed to get totally blasted. I disagree.

St. Patrick was a Catholic saint and, while I'm sure he probably took a sip now and then, I don't think that this holiday was to celebrate his ability to drink everyone under the table. I may not know a lot about St. Patrick, but I do know that in all the stories I heard about him, I don't think a single one discusses his drinking abilities nor is there a reference to him being an alcoholic.

While some may disagree because one of the stories suggested that we celebrate this because he chased all of the snakes from Ireland. Now, not having been there at the time of St. Patrick, I would accept the story at face value. Some would argue that he saw snakes as a result of DT's which would make it a drinking holiday but I disagree. If that WERE the case, I believe that any holiday that promotes a condition in which a person inflicts damage to himself/herself buy ingesting a substance that weakens the mind, motor abilities, and memory skills while also reducing the already diminished amount of common sense causing a person to do unspeakable acts that would never have been committed in a sober state, I say we remove that holiday from that calendar.

By the way, I know there are those out there that like beer. For those of you who feel that you are a connoisseur of beer or just like beer a LOT, click HERE.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

A little known fact... The Irish didn't celebrate St. Patrick's day until they saw that America was and they figured it would be a good idea.