Thursday, April 10, 2008

Something to discuss

I know this is supposed to be a fun blog, but I have something very serious to discuss. It is something that is weighing heavily on my mind and I just need to get it off my chest.

Most know that we get season tickets to Lagoon. When I was a kid, it was an awesome and wondrous place. I remember when my dad worked at Serta Mattress and it was the company Lagoon day. Most of the time, we were at our babysitter's house who's husband happened to work for my dad. All of the kids got excited about Lagoon day. It was a historical event that should have been considered a national holiday by our standards.

I remember that we would go out back and play on the swing set the day of and pretend we were on a certain ride. We all did it and it was a lot of fun. When it was finally time to leave, which always seemed to take forever, we would ride in the cars and there were the tell-tale signs that we were getting close, the most significant was the green fence (not exactly sure how to describe it) that lined the left side of the street just before you got there.

It was always a magical time and we loved going. The kids got the run of the park mostly, food and drinks were provided by Serta and it was just childhood fun. We only went that once a year so the fascination was always there.

Lagoon has changed over the years and we have gotten older. This leads me into my dilemma.

I'm not the kid I once was and as such, I'm finding that my tolerance for some of the things that I was able to do when I was younger dwindling. Basically, and in total confidence, I want to tell you something VERY serious....... I can't ride all the rides I used to. It is totally upsetting. I also can't ride as many rides in a row as I used to also. I never used to need Dramamine, but now.....

Its awful. You know you are getting old when your level of excitement for the rides is exchanged for the excitement to see the shows.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total loser who can't ride any of the rides, I just can't ride the spinning rides. Turn of the Century (or swings as we lovingly referred to it in our youth) is one ride that if I ride it, I'm done for the day. Centennial Screamer, no way. Lets not even discuss the rock-o-planes (or is it roll-o-planes?) Paratroopers, out as well.

I never, in my youth, ever watched a show. I think I saw my first show when I was 18 or 19 and was forced to go because my girlfriend at the time (and her parents) made me. I guess "made" is such a strong word as I just wanted to insure a bit of snuggle time (with the girlfriend, not the parents... Jeez, your sick!!!) Now, we look forward to the shows. The kids like them too (which is odd) but maybe that's because they are still a bit young and don't have the run of the place we did. The older kids do but mostly if they have someone to go with, but I digress....

It is just sad. I want to warn you all. It will happen to you too. Ride the rides before it becomes too late. See the shows but before you get to "old" to put your body through that type of abuse, get out and ride the rides.....

(BTW, day passes are up to $40 so better get the season passes. They are $80 when you buy 4 or more.)

If you read this and aren't in a reasonable distance from Lagoon, find the nearest amusement park and GO. Your continued childhood is at risk.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I am thinking that I'm getting the same way. It's been a few years since I went and I kind of got sick on the samurai. I'll have to blog about my experience at Universal Studios last October, if I haven't already. Also, I still get excited when I see the green fence and I'm on my way to Lagoon. I guess some things just stick with you.