Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Gardening for the Lazy

One of the things that I have always wanted to do is to grow a garden. Because I'm generally lazy, I don't bother with finding a place in the yard or tilling the soil or anything that really requires work. Because of the price of everything, I've decided that gardening would be a wonderful and useful habit to get into. So, I've been doing some research (which, apparently I'm good at.)

Anyway, a friend of mine forwarded a link (this link to be exact) that took me to a concept called "Square Foot Gardening." I was intrigued and started reading into the details and have decided that this is the coolest thing since the invention of the plow.

So I have now decided that I will be working on this in the near future. It is a simple concept and requires very little investment, if you can find the building material cheap which, if you know anyone that can get a hold of some used pallets or wood products for little cost or free, which, I happen to be one of those individuals.

I will probably document my attempt at this so that everyone can see how wonderful this concept is or how much of an utter failure I can be. Either way, it'll be entertaining.

My next conquest, if this work is composting. Doesn't seem hard so we will have to see. There is a concept called "Humanure" which I'm not totally sold on yet. Not sure I would want to try this unless our entire infrastructure dies and we have to resort to outhouse-living again, in which case I may give it a go. But if the infrastructure is toast, composting human feces would be the least of our worries, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Humanure, interesting...