Thursday, April 13, 2006

6th North Overpass

As I was driving to work today, I remembered a story that I wanted to put in my "The Life and Times of Brandon McGee" which is basically a book of all the stupid crap I did when I was a kid. The second half will be for all the stupid stuff I'll do in the future. Here's a story I remembered and wanted to write it down somewhere in case I forgot.

When I was 17/18ish, I had a 1981 blue mustang. It was my pride and joy back then. It had its problems but it sure was a good car. I loved that car but ended up having to sell it and having my friend destroy it within a month of owning it. But I digress.....

One story in particular involved me, my brother, my middle finger, and the 6th North Overpass. (Tracy remembers and is probably laughing right now.)

Anyway, Tracy and I were headed home. We were on northbound 3rd west and were in the left hand turn lane to turn west on 6th North. For those of you that don't know, 6th North has an overpass that goes over I-15. There was another car headed our direction and at the moment we got into the turn lane, it looked like I should wait for it. Then it slowed and didn't seem to know where it was going.

About that time, another vehicle came up behind us honking its horn. I looked in my rearview mirror and see a lady in her 40's who seemed very agitated driving and an old man sitting in the passenger seat very docile. I asked my brother, "Think I should flip her off?" He said, "Sure". So, as we made the left hand turn, I stuck out my hand and flipped her off. Tracy, not seeing the gesture, looked back and apparently the lady had become extremely upset.

Tracy asked if I did flip her off and I told him I did. He told me that the lady was very upset and was coming after us. I looked in my rearview again to see a very angry lady trying to chase me down. So, I did what every other red-blooded teen male in a sports car does, I gunned it.

We sped over 6th North coming down to 9th West and a red light. I signaled and moved into the right turn lane with my very agitated persuer behind me. As I got to the turn, the light turned green, I signaled left hit the gas and went straight leaving her in the right turn lane with a slew of cars now between me and her with no immediate prospects of getting left to go straight.

So, we made our escape. It was a nice sunny afternoon and I enjoyed the excitement. Its fun to look back and remember all the stupid stuff we did as kids.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

It's funny because I tell that story to people all the time. It makes me laugh to this day. The driving was some of the best I've ever seen.