Monday, April 10, 2006

Movie Reviews...

So I have 3 movies that I want to review. Hopefully I can remember them all...

The first one is The Greatest Game Ever Played with Shia LaBeouf and directed by Bill Paxton. This was a really good movie. Of the three I'm going to review today, this is the best one. LaBeouf's character is a kid that has grown up right across the street from a golf course. He grew up caddying and playing where he could. You see him as a little kid putting a golf ball in his bedroom late at night. He grows up to be pretty good. The other half of the story is about an english golfer by the name of Harry Vardon, who since as a little kid, was also a big fan of golf, and very good at it. With this being based on a true story, I was expecting the "feel good" movie that most are when inspired by or based on true events. They did a great job. There were a couple scenes that I think should have hit the cutting room floor, but for the most part they did a great job. This movie had some serious parts and some pretty funny parts. I'd say it is one that I'm going to eventually add to my collection.

Second is An Unfinished Life with Morgan Freeman, Robert Redford, and Jennifer Lopez. This movie was pretty good. I could sit through it again but I don't think I'd be running out to buy or rent this movie again. The thing that is hard for this movie is that they have 3 stories, maybe 4, that eventually tie in together. Well kind of. This movie follows a battered Jennifer Lopez to a little podunk town in Wyoming as she gets away from a loser of a boyfriend. She heads to the farm of her deceased husbands father, so her father-in-law. He's not happy to see her, she has a kid, and the storylines all affect this little girl. Well she's supposed to be 11 or 12 I think. This story had a few holes in it that I feel that they could have filled a little better, and tried to tie some of them off at the end, but still left you wondering about a few things. Good movie, like I said though, it's a one-time-renter, but you could watch it more than once if someone else rented it.

Third is Theif Lord. Chels picked this one up mainly for the kids. And after watching it, with the kids, I can see why. It is a good family movie where the kids will be really entertained and if the adults can stay focused on it long enough it will start to make sense and turn out to be a pretty good movie. This movie starts out with Prosper, the older brother, kiddnapping his little brother, Bo, from a mean aunt and uncle that want to adopt Bo since their mother has passed away. They run away to Venice where they make friends with the Theif Lord and become part of his gang. The Theif Lord is given a job to steal a wooden wing for this count. The wooden wing goes to this magical merry-go-round. I'm not going to say much more because I don't want to give anything away. This movie is multiple renter, espically for the kids. I'd watch it again. If you rent it remember that you have to hang in there for a bit to have it catch your attention. I almost turned it off for something else but stayed with it and was pleasantly suprised by the end.

Those are the three movies that I wanted to review. Good luck in your renting...

PS B, we need to really figure out what our rating scale should be...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'll post a blog later about the rating system I have in mind.