Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Movie Review The Poseidon Adventure (2005) TV

Seems all I do these days is watch movies. Anyway, got a new one. I like the storyline for this film, or at least the concept as this is the first I've seen. I would like to see the earlier 1972 verson of The Poseidon Adventure but have not yet. It has a pretty start-studded cast with Gene Hackman, Red Buttons, Shelly Winters, Ernest Borgnine, and Roddy McDowell.

Anyway, the version of The Poseidon Adventure we saw was made for TV and was actually a 2-part movie that did have a few big names in it: Steve Guttenburg, Adam Baldwin, Rutger Hauer, Bryan Brown and C. Thomas Howell. As I said, I do like the storyline and they have made some updates to this version vs. the 1972 version. They have added a couple of characters, deleted a couple of characters, and have updated the ships demise to terrorists. (I'm assuming the 1972 version was something different because terrorism really wasn't big in 1972, as far as I know.)

They have changed a few of the names to pay homage to certain individuals (like the captain's in this version was named after the original writer of the book.)

I thought this was a good story and kept me watching. The visuals were pretty good but were not "big budget" and you can tell that this was made for TV. This is one to definately watch and compare to the 1972 version, (that's my general plan.) I would suggest owning this one if you are a collector of these types of movies (i.e. Titanic or any of the others of similar name.)

They are also coming out with a Special Edition Poseidon Adventure (1972) due out this May. This comes ahead of the 2006 remake entitled Poseidon to be released May 12th.

Good movie, can't wait to see the others and possibly have the entire collection.

No comments: