Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I know I have been MIA for a little while and for that, I am truly sorry. It has been an interesting couple of days and so I'm not entirely sure what to blog about. I could tell you all of the fun and excitement over the past little bit but I don't think you all want to hear about the crappy time I've been having so I will focus on the most difficult bit over the last little bit.

I guess in the broader category, I am indecisive. I like having options available to me and by making a choice, you eliminate the other possibility. Therefore, if you don't make a choice, both options are available but time goes on and the indecisiveness creates havoc and makes me look like a wishy-washy type person. I have several decisions that I have had to make over the last little bit and each has pros and cons. I like the no-brainer type decisions (all pros, no cons) that make decision making easy.

Anyway, here are a few of the decisions I am currently faced with:

  • Buying my house - Right now we are renting from my mother-in-law. If we buy, the $$ go up every month because we don't have all the other additional costs associated with a house. On the other hand, it is ours. It is definitely a "fixer-upper" but I haven't let that discourage me as anything in our price range would be just that, a "fixer-upper". I like the idea of staying in the house because the yard is big enough but I need to fix the deck, some of the electrical, and finish the basement. The yard needs some work but because of the neighborhood we live in, as long as its not full of trash no one really cares.
  • Fix my car vs. UTA - My car is having problems but I really can't be upset. It lasted 2 years longer than I originally planned so I am pretty happy with it. Right now, it has over 190k miles on it and the gears are struggling a bit. The biggest problem I have is that the radiator needs to be replaced and that, with all of the parts and chemicals will cost about $250ish and that's if I do the labor myself. The labor wouldn't be too hard but I would hate to spend the $$ and then have the gears go out. I don't want to replace it yet as Alythea's van registration is due this month so I would like to wait a few months. This way we can spread out the costs associated with cars. I have checked bus routes and it looks like they made a few changes that would make it a lot easier for me to get to and from work so I'm thinking this might be an excellent option.
Anyway, I think the indecision comes when I start to look at the long term or the other possibilities. I guess I would hate to make the wrong decision and have things go completely wrong. I'm not one that likes surprises so I like to know what is going to happen but a lot of these problems you really can't "know" for certain. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to do whether it be right or wrong but I think it needs to be a family decision. So, I will consult the wife and get back to you.

No comments: