Friday, March 14, 2008

Part of the Family

So this morning I took my puppy, Wash, into the vet to get neutered. Now he's laying on the floor of the bedroom floor still trying to get over the anesthetics.

When I took him to the Vet this morning, I was given all the forms to sign and it reminded me a lot of when you have to go into a doctor appointment as a human. They give you the form saying that they aren't responsible if he dies and stuff like that. As I was signing all the forms and listening to the lady talk about what they were going to do to Wash and all that stuff, I realized I was getting more and more worried about leaving him. I knew that he was in good hands and that they weren't going to just let him die, but I was still worried. I was kind of in shock that I was that worried about it.

He has really become a part of the family, even Chels is coming around to liking him. She went out and kicked the ball and he'd chase it and drop it at her feet and then she'd kick it again. Now, for those of you who don't know, when Chels and I got married, having a dog was out of the question. As time wore on, she grew accustomed to the idea, knowing that he'd be an outside dog. We were thinking of getting a Jack Russel when KK got a little older then Nic and Rick bread Zoey and we fell in love with little Wash. When we brought him home, Chels wasn't exactly excited, but she tolerated it because I was happy.

Over the last about 8 months that we've had him, he's getting better and being a good dog and not an annoying puppy. He still has a lot of the annoying puppy things going on, but not as much. Last Saturday we were out cleaning the back yard and Bree was running around the yard and he would just run next to her as she ran. Before he would have been knocking her down trying to eat her hair and stuff. Now he seems to be willing to just play without having all the little annoying things.

Another thing that I think has really helped is that we've gone through 4 weeks of beginning dog training. He is getting a lot of the concepts down, but still has a lot to learn. We have 4 weeks left and hopefully he'll be at a good point in his training. I am thinking about enrolling him in the Intermediate training as well. We are doing all our training through PetSmart.

Well the family movie is over and as usual the family is asleep. I've been up getting stuff ready for our caching day tomorrow. I'm excited to go out. We have a pretty good system, I drive, look for the caches, and manage the older kids and Chels gets to read her book in the car and manage KK. At least that was the way it worked last time. Anyway, I'm gonig to go to bed. I don't think I've blogged longer than B, but it is pretty close.

No comments: