Monday, March 24, 2008

Movie Review - I Am Legend

This movie is based off a novel by Richard Matheson. This is the 3rd remake of this story line. The first was "The Last Man on Earth (1964)" starring Vincent Price and the second was "The Omega Man (1971)" starring Charlton Heston. Each takes a different spin off the original story but each holds true to certain aspects of the story.

I really liked "I Am Legend" starring Will Smith as Dr. Robert Neville. It is an interesting take on one man's struggle with being what he feels is the last healthy person in the entire world. The other living creatures have been modified by a virus of some sort that creates something different but humanoid in some aspects.

There are actually two versions of this movie. There is the original theater ending and, if you get the deluxe DVD set, they also have the alternative ending. I won't give away any secrets, but the alternative ending is more enjoyable. BTW, the daughter of Robert Neville is the real-life daughter of Will Smith (just a bit of trivia.)

Anyway, as this movie circulates more and more people become familiar with the alternative ending, I may post more of my thoughts on this show comparing it with the other movies and the original book as well.

I do recommend Richard Matheson as a writer as he has written several novels that most may be familiar with but are unaware as to the origins. The link to his name takes you to his IMDB profile of which you can see a list of his other works that have been turned into movies as well.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I'm going to have to borrow that version. I got the single disc version, I don't think it has the alternate ending on it. I'll check though.