Friday, March 14, 2008

Working for the Weekend!!!!

I usually post my blogs first thing in the morning. Gives me an opportunity to get the gears rolling a bit and to find out which fire I have to deal with that day at work. Today just started weird and has pretty much stayed that way.

I had barely walked in the door when I had to deal with the first item for the day. We are having some employee issues, or more to the point, issues with one employee. The last couple of days have been major discussions about how to handle this particular situation so it has not made life fun.

One of the things that I hate most about being a manager or supervisor in any capacity is to deal with other people. When you have to oversee someone else that creates problems. Not only are you responsible for the stuff they are doing but you also have to deal with that person’s entire life. Anyone who says they seperate their work and personal lives is full of crap. Everyone drags different aspects of their personal life into their work and vice versa. Your attitude and mood because of something that happens at home can distract you from your job or problems at your job can distract you from your personal life.

I know there are times when I have such a hard day at work that I go home and just want to sit and watch tv. Sometimes dealing with the kids becomes a hassle because I just need peace and quite. While I am not doing work at home or thinking about work, the effects of the day have spilled over into my personal life and dealing with the kids.

Anyone who is a parent has had to stay up late with a sick kid and that also spills over to the next day when you are tired and groggy at work. You may not discuss your home problems at work or even really think about it, but the effects of what happens at home invade your professional life.

So dealing with employees becomes more than just about work, it becomes about life altogether. We walk around and carry the weight of our world upon us regardless of where we are and what we are doing. We can put it away for a while when we are on vacation or something but it is always there. Our lives then become intertwined in other people’s lives and then you struggle with what is going on in their lives. To accomplish a work task, you have to almost change a complete attitude or solve a personal problem so the focus can be on that task.

Anyway, this week has been especially draining because of various things like this. Not only do I have employee issues, I have issues with other co-workers that have definitely added to the stress of this week. I am really glad it is over and hope that I can take a couple of days to download all of the pent up frustration and have a little fun.

Today has been especially difficult because today was blood donation day. I donate every 2 months (usually) and after getting drained today, I have not felt the best. There’s always a physical drain as your body adjusts to the loss of blood but today it was a little more severe. I’m pretty sure it had to do with being a bit tired and the stress of the events of today but.....

I am looking forward to going home, hanging out with the kids and finding something fun to do. Not 100% on what that will be but whatever it is, I’m sure we will all have fun.

I am also looking forward to some fun tomorrow. I am going geocaching with my brother and, if the weather turns bad, Guitar Hero and Rockstar. After that, BBQ.

BTW, for those of you interested, Clark Planetarium starts their U2 laser show today!!!! Next month, they are starting a new show about mummys.... Get your passes quick because it is a lot of fun.

No comments: